Saturday, February 15, 2014

Oat and Quinoa Blender Pancakes



GF, VG

This week I tried out a new food on my Benny with great success. A friend with coeliac disease suggested Freedom Foods Oats and since she can tolerate them I thought - why not?

Freedom Oats are grown in fields separate from crops containing gluten and they're tested before being sold. Apparently 4 in 5 people with coeliac disease can eat them - I haven't been able to find any research to support this however.  I started with a humble bowl of porridge and that went well. Both my husband and Benny seem to be able to tolerate these oats just fine.  As far as additions to a restricted diet go, this one is pretty huge. Anzac cookies! Home made muesli bars! So many baking opportunities have opened up.

This morning I decided to try out an easy pancake recipe where everything is added to a blender or food processor. I've adapted it from a few recipes I've found online to make it GF and EF. These are light and fluffy and full of good things. There are no refined sugars in them either.


Ingredients

1 C rolled oats (gluten free if you need them to be)
1 C quinoa flakes
1 1/4 C rice or almond milk
1 large ripe banana or 2 small ones
1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder - I like Bob's Red Mill because it's GF and aluminium free
2 tsp chia seeds
1/4 C water

Method

Put the chia seeds in the 1/4 C water and leave to gel for a few minutes. This will be your "egg" and it's a nice way to get some chia into children without them realising it.

In a food processor or blender add all ingredients except the chia and water and blend until combined. Add the chia gel and pulse a few times until combined.

Cook in a hot pan with a little coconut oil or butter if you can eat it. I make these as little mini pikelets rather than big pancakes because they're easier for the kids to eat and fit nicely into their lunch boxes. I serve them without any toppings but they'd be lovely with maple syrup too.

If you can't find quinoa flakes you can use 2 C of rolled oats instead. These would also be yummy with some blueberries, sultanas or choc chips stirred through just before cooking.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment