Monday, February 17, 2014

Gluten Free Vegan Seed Crackers

Anyone else totally sick of rice crackers?? I may have just the thing for you.


These seed crackers were a pleasant surprise. I've always shied away from making crackers because I don't have the best history with rolling out GF doughs. I imagined everything sticking and the crackers not holding together at the end. Amazingly, these crackers are so simple to make and they're just about fool proof. It's hard to find a good GF cracker especially if you're also needing them to be egg free.  We had these with cheese and chutney last night and then the kids had some in their lunches today with some homemade hummus. My kids aren't huge fans of seeds so the fact that they loved these felt a bit like a victory.

The recipe is from Wholefood Simply and I made it exactly as the recipe suggested, except that I omitted the vanilla and found I had to cook mine for longer to get them to go crispy. I think it was due to my tray not being large enough so they were a bit too thick.

Here's the recipe:

Preheat an oven to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F

In a food processor put:

1/2 C chia seeds
1/2 C flax seeds
1/2 C pumpkin seeds
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Pulse a few times to break up the seeds then add 1 C water.

Keep blending on a slow speed until the mix thickens up.

Line a tray with baking paper, spread the mix over the top thinly using a spatula. The recipe suggests using another piece of baking paper on top so you can roll it out but I didn't need to, I just used a spatula to spread it evenly.

Place in the oven for 30 mins and check if they're crispy. If they need more time put them back and check every 10 mins until they're nice and hard. Mine took 50 mins total. Cut into squares or break into pieces.

Enjoy with your favourite topping or on their own. They'll last in airtight container for a week (but they'll be long gone by then!)




No comments:

Post a Comment